The transformation of using technology in the supply chain industry has accelerated due to many disruptions that happened in the industry. The use of technology in the industry is nothing new. For many years robotics, RPA, IoT, Cloud Computing and more have been used to streamline processes and make the supply chain more efficient.
One of the main aspects that have been heavily automated in the supply chain is warehousing. Robotics is used in every aspect to help human employees become more efficient and accurate. Similarly, Artificial Intelligence (AI) has now become one of the main technologies that are used by stakeholders in the industry to gain a digital advantage in 2023.
AI can be used in many functions along the supply chain and data entry is one of them. One question that arises in this context is whether AI is replacing data entry operators in the supply chain industry. The short answer is no. While AI is a powerful tool for automating certain tasks, it cannot entirely replace human operators, particularly when it comes to complex decision-making and judgment.
Supply chain operations generate vast amounts of data daily, which need to be analyzed, processed, and inputted into computer systems for effective supply chain management. Data entry operators are responsible for manually inputting data into computer systems, ensuring that the data is accurate, up-to-date, and easily accessible.
By automating the data entry process, AI can help streamline the supply chain process, allowing for faster and more accurate decision-making. As an example, AI can be used to scan and input data from documents, such as bills of lading, purchase orders, and invoices significantly reducing the time it takes to input data manually and reducing errors caused by human error.
Data entry operators can use their judgment and knowledge to identify potential errors in data and validate the data. They can also help to develop and implement new supply chain processes, which AI may not be able to do effectively.
How can AI help data entry operators make better decisions?
- Analyse data faster: AI is capable of analysing large datasets, and identifying patterns and trends that humans may miss. This allows humans to make better-informed decisions based on data-driven insights.
- Improved Accuracy: AI can process data with high levels of accuracy and consistency, reducing errors caused by human mistakes. Which provides reliable data for decision-making and also to be passed down the supply chain.
- Enhanced Decision-Making: AI can provide humans with data-driven insights, which can help to inform decision-making. By combining AI-generated insights with human expertise and judgment, decision-makers can make more informed and accurate decisions.
It’s no doubt that AI will help data entry operators process documents faster by extracting data within seconds saving time.
How can data entry operators use their time saved more effectively with AI?
- Improve processes: Data entry operators can review current processes and look into areas of inefficiency, and help to optimize supply chain performance and reduce costs.
- Improve the quality of data: With AI taking over the mundane task of data entry, data entry operators can use the time freed up by AI to focus on quality control tasks such as verification, and identifying errors or inconsistencies.
- Exception Handling: Data entry operators will be able to handle exceptions such as investigating and resolving issues related to shipments, inventory, or suppliers, which require human intervention to resolve.
- Training and Development: The saved time can be used to enhance their skills and knowledge. Allowing them to improve their ability to manage complex supply chain operations and take on more strategic roles within the organization.
So how does it all come together in the bigger picture? How can AI help your business increase sales and reduce costs?
- Faster and more accurate data processing
- Insightful data for better decision-making
- Increased efficiency
- Improved compliance
While AI is disrupting the supply chain industry, it is not entirely replacing data entry operators. Both AI and data entry operators are needed in the industry, and they need to work collaboratively to achieve the best results. By doing so, supply chain operators can take advantage of the power of AI while still benefiting from the unique skills and expertise of data entry operators.
How can CargoDoc help your business?
CargoDoc is a smart, customized AI Powered OCR solution developed to help Freight forwarders and 3PLs enter data into CargoWise accurately and swiftly.
It is jointly developed by Soft Freight Logic and Deep Cognition, two leaders in the logistics technology industry.
The CargoDoc team has a local presence in the US, and we have domain expertise in Customs of over 15 years with CargoWise Platinum Status over the last 5 years. Our team comprises more than 25 CargoWise accredited consultants. The vast domain knowledge and experience in customs, tax laws, etc., which are unique to the supply chain industry, have enabled us to create the most suitable smart OCR solution in the market for Freight forwarders and 3PLs.
The decades of domain knowledge and expertise in the industry by its creators make CargoDoc the best smart OCR solution for data entry into CargoWise for freight forwarders and 3PLs.